Wednesday, March 02, 2005

When bad things happen to good Superheroes. Part 1

Saw "The Incredibles" and it was cool.

I was a little kid and first stumbled upon a stash of the "Cabin Comics". (Comics which were unceremoniously dumped in a drawer up at our cabin. They ran the gamut from Little Lulu to Classics Illustrated to Superman.) I loved the mythology, (Pre-Joseph Campbell) and as early as age 2 I was knotting a towel around my neck and pretending to fly around the yard. My affinity for comics and superheroes had begun.

Spider-Man was the 1st I ever identified with, going so far as to wearing my makeshift costume to elementary school and starting a fan-club in 1st grade (My parents were called when 2 kids actually joined. I made them pay a Quarter to be a member.) My tastes and loves for various heroes bloomed after Underoo's were developed, and I could parade around the neighborhood as different heroes in the comfort of my skivvies. (My parents chagrin at this was tempered by the fact that I wasn't crying for toys, but in fact begging for undapants.) Captains America and Marvel, Superman, Batman, The GAH (An easy hero for me to be, blonde curls and all), Green Lantern, The Flash (If you're nice, I'll give you a funny "P's mom story" and tell you about the time I was playing The Flash and got hit by 2 girls on ten-speeds.) I started buying comics around '86, ("X-Titles" for the uninitiated) hung out with other geeks (Yeah...them), eventually stopping 'round 1992. (Too many cross-pollinated comics just made following too pricey.)

Years later, a co-worker geek at the Bullseye got me hooked again, showing me the coolness of particular artists and writers. (Gaiman, Miller, Moore.) Once again I started reading the comics- Watchmen, Dark Knight (Ok, I'd already read it but I hadn't bought it yet) Preacher, Sin City, Top Ten, The Authority....it was all brilliant. I've made it a goal to eventually collect the Sandman series.

It made me realize that my early love for comics (besides the escapist aspect) had fostered a healthy love of reading and learning, (Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker were both smart guys. Better to be smart and secretive thought I.) It initiated my early sense of morals and values which fit my nature and upbringing (Easy enough to figure out what's bad and what's good when your Dad is a cop) and a remarkably fucked up imagination. It kept me active, not only joining sports, but taking up activities which I thought would help me be a superhero: Martial Arts, Wrestling, Gymnastics, Rock Climbing, lifting weights. Kendo and Fencing was due to my love of Star Wars, but we're onto comics now, Fankids.) My only problem with climbing was getting down. Many a phone call my parents had to field, telling them that their kid was stuck up in a tree. I was able to push past my fear of heights too...even though I hate the idea of falling.

The thing is they're fictional, and I've never deluded myself into thinking I could fly (Another cute P segue is here, but I'll speak of it later) or that I could climb a wall, or lord knows dodge a bullet. I admired the discipline, honor, goodness, and coolness that went with being a super hero. Or just a hero. And there were little ways I started to learn what it meant to be a hero: Making someone laugh when they've had a bad day, or when they're mad. (It's what Spiderman would do) talking your way out of a fight, opening a door for someone carrying too many bags, stopping on a jog to help a kid who fell off a bike. It's dumb to look for honor and nobility in your actions, but ultimately (and karmically) I can be introspective and find the redeeming qualities, and for fun...I can blame comic books. It's a great feeling to know that your "secret identity" can gather a little respect...all by yourself.

And here I am, all of 30, and I just finished reading somewhere that, "In the comic world" Peter Parker is now a teacher, in his 30's. And he's 5'10", 165...just like me. And if you're curious,
I still own my Spiderman Ski Mask that I used with my costume.

But I wanna talk movies...so I'll movie this on to a top-tenny kinda thread. I just wanted to get that off my chest, but I wonder what kinda superhero are you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mike, it's Molly again. Reading this post has reminded me of this really funny book that you would like. Its by Mark Salzman and its called Lost in Place: Growing Up Absurd in Suburbia. Its a memoir of his childhood, and how he got interested in kung-fu and stuff. Its hilarious and I think you would love it.

P said...

He also wrote "Iron and Silk" and starred in the movie of the same name. It is one of my favorite martial arts movies. I'm not sure if it is out on DVD yet but definitely worth a rental.

Anonymous said...

When I was little I used to run around in my Wonderwoman Underoos and get into fights w/ my older sister cuz I thought I should be Wonderwoman and she should be Wondergirl, I had the red gumboots and hers were blue, it only made sense! Ah, good times.

P said...

Oooooo../My parents 86'ed little Marci G and I from playing in our underoo's. (She had the WW ones.) I'd wear the Superman/Batman one's and we had some adventures!!!!