Tuesday, November 30, 2004

It's not what you know...you know?

Our 1st Henry V rehearsal was fine. I love the play, and I'm likin’ the group so far, which should say something. I have this ritual of trying to memorize my lines before the 1st rehearsal- and I was getting along juuuussst fine, when my fiancee’ encourages me to audition at her place of employment. So again, I stop with the scanning, and start with the song learning. It got me thinking:

I’ve auditioned at her place of employment before- Several times in fact. Since that I’m not a strooong singer or a very good dancer (2 baboons humping are more graceful) I’ve always auditioned with the proverbial grain of salt. And since I could hear the other singers filling up the place with sound, I’d instantly realize that, hmmmm, I don’t think I'm cut out for these kind of shows. The last audition I attended, the director asked me “well what shows are you doing right now?” or “Good voice for an actor”…whatever the fuck that meant.

To qualify those comments, I don’t have the same shitty attitude some (not all) actors have for musical theatre. I enjoy it, (when it's done well anyway...just like regular plays) I happen to enjoy performing in them (Just like regular plays) and most audiences seem to like the musicals versus other plays I’ve performed. People like singin' and dancin'.

Add some exposed weenies and boobies, and you've got "Hair".

So, I’ve heard some people call the performers at the Chan “Chan-O-Saurs”, and the theatre is rampant with nepotism. I’ve also heard folks say they only cast who they know, the shows are boring, how could you work there doing the same shit over and over and over again…The BEST is when people who don’t know my fiancee’ works there, have rolled their eyes and flung disparaging comments about, of all shows,. “Cats”. Ooooooooo you’re ripping on “Cats”. THAT’s a hard target.

And I won’t forget what my Freshmen College “Intro to Acting” prof said about it: Musical Theatre is not true theatre except for the musical Cabaret. Anyone who thinks differently should change their major or work at Chan. Dick Head.

Well, some of what you’ve heard about the is true. But when you are a “for-profit” theatre making the big-bucks and paying your actors the big-bucks, you usually go with the folks you know will do a good job. And, , it’s not like there is anyone in our small theatre community who has never pre-cast a show. (Fairness-Schmairness: It happens- get over it.) And man-oh -man, can we say job security? Hello? You’re getting paid to be a performer! Worse things can and will happen.

If you get bored, quit. If you don’t think you could hack it, don’t audition. And I have no problem doing shit like this. And I don’t mind routine. (Which is why I like film so much. You wait and wait and wait. You’ll shoot a bunch of times. It’s fun)

So, I’ve been called back. I thought my singing sucked. When the director asked me the same question as last time: “So what are you working on now?” I was ready to pack my bags. Except he followed up with question #2 “What are you doing next Monday at 11 am?)

I am doubtful I’ll get the gig, but it still feels pretty damn good to get called back.

1 comment:

Portana said...

*portland doing little dance of joy for P* Glad you made the callback....would you now give yourself some credit ;)

As for some insight to another blog...yes, things were said, essentually decisions were made that dont involve the Twin Cities. It hard to tell someone that, especially when emotions are involved. But other circumstances have come about and I had to prioritize some things in my life. Life is all about give and take, this time I need to give, so the different direction came clear. It does hurt my heart though that others were affected as well. My only wish is that understanding of decisions made come about.
And yes, I am laying low for a while on the callboard, thought it was only fair. But you are still stuck with me :D