Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Unemployment wk 3...Chance of rain.

So...

I figure that I wouldn't post all gloom and doom. Yesterday was more house arrest as you know, culminating in a Tarantino film fest ("Reservoir Dogs" followed by "Pulp Fiction" and "Kill Bill Vol. 1". I'm starting to feel like I should make this my movie marathon blog rather than my current state of unemployment blog) My worry is now stemming from the fact that I feel my MS knowledge may be waning and that frightens me that the atrophy is going to affect my marketability. And makes me want to drink. Frass.

I have a lengthy convo with big bro regarding unemployment benefits which ends with my needing to call them to confirm my eligibilty. I end the conversation 15 minutes past the office hours, so I know I have til today to call and make sure I have the benefits in tact. I do a heavy, at home lifting session (arms, shoulders) to keep fit and my roommate tells me it is a good thing to stay physically active as well as mentally positive. I wonder if that's true.

Today was a different story. Mid-week. Time to be more, more proactive.

I find a link to a health care company in my neighborhood that is offering a few positions. I apply on line and keep my fingers crossed. Then, it's a call to the Unemployment office to get my status. They tell me that my former employer hasn't contested my eligibilty and twice confirms that I am " most likely" going to receive benefits. Good. While on hold with them, I receive a message on my phone from the temp agency saying that they have a potential Insurance gig with the Farm to start immediately. Good for me, bad for Kaiser who I had promised to help do home repair chores tomorrow for cash. Okay. I'm ok with this. I call them, hem and haw over the position and money ("I won't sell, okay? I am not going to sell the stuff." Which is dumb, since I should take what I can get but I really believe I need standards too. I. Won't. Sell. Insurance.) They're fine with that, and promise a call back with details. They also say the magic words to me: "We will go to bat for you". Strange that I find that comforting. Who says that, these days. A guy who really appreciates and believes in loyalty really likes this. More, cautious, hope.

Then I get a personal message from a buddy who has a potential opportunity to shill wine for an independent winery down in Southern MN. I read the details, hem and haw over them, and figure "What the hell". I send in my stuff with a cover letter to them as well. It's an hour commute with 30% of my time working from home but like someone on Frassbook pointed out- They know folks with longer commutes with s#ittier jobs. If this works out, again, another potential opportunity in the works. And I can sell wine to an Eskimo. I'm positive.

So besides it being ridiculously cold in the world for the month of March. Besides the fact that I treated myself to Chinese takeout in my one foray into the world. Besides the fact that I've practically lived in front of my computer the last 2.5 weeks trying to get gainful employment I have a small, possibly obtainable ray of light to grasp. And other opportunities to perhaps capitalize on. As a treat, I skipped the gym and have finished "Kill Bill vol. 2" and am slowly working my way through the Swayziest masterpiece of the late 80's/early 90's- "Road House".

Fingers crossed, frassers.

No comments: