Friday, March 20, 2009

End of employment week one, begin Unemployment redux

"Can I see you in my office before you leave?"


And I was just getting used to this. The young conservative was done as of the end of next week, and he was fine enough to deal with. (And easily distracted. You think my ADHD is bad? His makes a conversation between Ry-Gonn and myself seem like quiet discourse between two mutes) I like the other temp well enough, and she was pleasant to BS with during the quiet times. Heck, I was even starting to figure out "thickness" and how to navigate a conversation with him without his making a gross comment.

But after a conference call that made my night go 15 minutes over while I waited, I was called in to the bosses office. The normal pleasant questions were raised- "How do you like it here?", "What do you think?", "How are you handling the workload" before the bombshell: "The agency said I should tell you this up front. I overstaffed and can't afford to pay you for next week. We had two people work for two days and quit for perm positions, one I had to let go for productivity, and I had to pay both of them. I just can't afford to pay you independently for the last week of the month."

Double f#ck.

He did say he didn't want to because I could find a perm position in the interim and he stands to lose someone who had already been training which means hiring another "cold" employee but he understood if it happened. We chatted for another few minutes (I wish that I had asked if it was me) before he said that was all he had. I felt like crap. I had even gone so far to tell people I'd see them on Monday.

So. So, so, so, so....Any leads you all have, I'd be glad to hear them.

F#ck. Back to the search.

No comments: