Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Harley Pit-stain and the Breathy Swallows

I don't know how in depth to make this. I know that I don't want to (gasp!) bore you with a historical recitive on my feelings toward the series. (For that nonny nonny nonsense you can go to my blog archives, or Blogchives. July 2005. You have to scroll down a minnit, but it's there.)

Yeah. 2 years. Man. I remember sitting and demolishing the last one. Getting all Shocky McShockersoned. Re-reading it at a slower pace. And getting into my whole "It's gonna be another two years before the last one comes out...so you might as well chill out.

My. What a difference two years makes.

So. So, so, so. I loved it. I did the same thing I did the last time I read. I demolished it. I was here at work over lunch and food fell out of my mouth by around page 59. And when it was done, I had that same bittersweet feeling I had with the rest of them. Only tinged with a sense of finality. Finally finally. A way to describe the reading the first six, would be to say that after they were done I had the same feeling I get during "Good Bye's". (Sad pants) And by the time I closed the book and straightened the dust jacket it was like "Well...there it is."

Like how I feel about funerals. Sad, but that's the end of that cycle. And now it's time to look at life again.

So I won't spoil anything, unlike that asshat at B and N who did that to Melinite. No, the death's all surprised me. It was brutal. It was sad. It had some of the same Deus Ex Machina conventions that I always had a bit of a problem with. (Oooooo, everything going to hell? We got a SPELL to cover that!!!) And I even liked the epilogue because honestly? It ended how it ended. (And it was much more satisfying than, say, the last episode of "Seinfeld")

Yup. Once the old 6'er is over I'm going to re-read them all. Cover to cover. Maybe over the holidays when I'm in my cave. I'm glad I was connected and invested in this series. And really glad that the millions of people across the world feel the same. I love books.


See you around, Harry.

No comments: