Tuesday, January 11, 2005

It's the Funk that ties...

Well, to give more creedence to the bi-polar state of TC critics, I'll let you whet your appetite on:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1555/5179500.html

or how 'bout 'zis?

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/entertainment/performing_arts/10612589.htm?1c


Hmmm...one liked it, and didn't like the fights. The other didn't like it, but liked the fights. And the Funk was the only thing they both could agree on. Funny.

Different strokes and all. I really have no opinion of reviews. And reviewers tend to be a bunch of self-absorbed, overly empowered, sawed-off, poncey-noncey wankers who have a penchant for masturbating adjectives to the point of full extent- with little or no relief. To their credit, they are the most die-hard theatre patrons, and often time our staunchest supporters, which says...something . I've also just described some actors.

And the mirror, P, is THATAWAY!!!

Mostly, I'm not too fond of how some castmates act when the topic of reviews/reviewers is addressed. "Who's here", "which paper?" It just smacks of distraction, of which I already possess plenty. (And I don't like the idea of people having that kind of power. Which is why I dislike the idea of idolizing sports and entertainment figures.) Your energy should be focused on what's onstage, not who is in the frickin' house. Let the director/prodoucher worry about that. There you have it. 2 reviews. Opposites. I think I've seen that in 5 outta the last 6 shows I've been in . Citypages will come out tomorrow or (par for the course)the Wednesday before our closing weekend.

Funk said it best last night...I'm really curious about this one. And here they are. Curious, Curious...just like Harry Potters wand.

Sorry about earlier drafts btw. I ended up working on the house solo on Sunday and was feeling a little daunted. Oh well. At least we got the drywall in. And at the very leaset, the "J" is feeling better, meaning she didn't cry at all from the pain last night. She just complained that I smelled like garlic.

btw: Luce' Vegan Brushcetta- Not too bad. Just don't expect too much sweet-lovin. If you're me that is.

btw/btw: Why is Christoper McKnight, aka "Peter Brady" built like a bodybuilder now? And a super nice guy to boot? Talk about making me feel self conscious. Note to self, don't watch the Surreal Life 4 anymore.

3 comments:

Portana said...

Now that I have followed the TC theatre for about a year now, I have noticed that Graydon Royce (even the name sounds pompous) has a bit of a naccissistic streak for his own wording. Does he forget that his general audience that he is writing for has a 6th grade reading level? Does he think that his musings are the pinnicle of truth in passing judgement on everything he reviews? He needs to review at a more common level, casting judgement for the people who actually read the strib, not for the perhaps 20 people have their doctorate in Theater and could honestly give a rats ass about what this reviewer (read: typically uneducated) has to say.
*off high horse now*

Anonymous said...

um, portland? what exactly about that review makes it so high and mighty? He makes his points, tells you about the staging and performances he picked out, and gives you hisa opinion. Some of us would rather read this that "book reports" - and if you think this is being in love with one's own words, you never read most of the now thankfully absent city pages reviewers....

Anonymous said...

sorry, that was me (the godfather)