Friday, March 03, 2006

It was still sunny last night, at 5:30pm

The warm weather has caused the grass is to start showing. Spring is coming...and MAN do I love the smell of Spring. Quite a bit. It really fills you up ('specially while jogging. So nice, so nice I can cut out 2 layers from my cold weather gear) Clears your mind.

It's put me in a rambly frame of mind, though. I was looking down at the dirty snow while I was hoofing, and I realized that I really want to be able to run outside: In-the-sand. Barefoot. Run the length of the beach like I did out in California. Wearing nothing but sunscreen and my bathing suit. And when your run winds down, make a bee line right towards the surf and crash headfirst into the first cold wave that is taller than you. Letting your body adjust to that first bitter chill. And the gooseflesh after you step out of the ocean and lay down to dry off in the sun. I love beach runs.


I want more though. I want my "environment workout". I want to find a rockface with hand and footholds that spirals 12 stories. I want to climb outside, on the rocks, getting the scrapes and dings.

I want to hike through a huge forest. I want to smell pine, and the dying vegetation underfoot...accumulated for years.

For right now? I can't wait for late spring. When the soil has dried out enough that your foot doesn't sink in as soon as you step on the turf. I want that outdoor warmth again.

No comments: