Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Ow...my cold, cold soul

It's finally getting to me. Finally. I have momentary lapses of optimism...Sunshine will do that to you. This. Cold. I think I snapped this morning as I put on my super hero suit under my business casual work duds. I thought to myself, ever so wisely and ever so eloquently: "This s#it f#cking blows"

Negative double digits. Negative wind chill. Negative attitude. When it's so cold it hurts I reserve my MN-given right to b#tch. Yeah, Yeah... we had some milder, practically balmy weather last weekend. And we're promised some more this coming weekend. I don't care. Jack Frost can suck it. Once we get over the bitter hump that is February, we get to contend with our (historically) snowiest month= March. Which, thank GOODNESS, coincides with 4 solid weekends of High School winter sports tourney's. So we get crappy wet snow, crappy road conditions, and out-of-towners-new-to-the-big-city folks clogging the streets.

Then we get April. Which is like the cruel junior high friend who plays to your insecurities to validate themselves in the sense that you don't know if you'll be blessed with a sunny 80 degree hug or 8-10 inches of b#tch slap snowfall.

I guess the grumpdidlikins I'm feelings today are born from the fact that as I took the trash out the other day I was able to make out the faint outline of the garden borders, poking up like a serpent mound in Ohio. (Or a serpent ourobouros since it's techinically an unbroken line.) I got all wistful since I probably can't start thinking about seed catalogs, Farmer's Market visits, or those gorgeous German garlic cloves that are hiding a few inches beneath the soil on the East end.

1 comment:

momo said...

Our little garlic cloves are underground getting all robust and pungent for our summer enjoyment. The days are getting longer. (This morning when I woke up in your room I thought I had overslept because there was actual light coming in the window). Soon enough I'll be in my perpetual summer dress attire, lounging in your backyard with a mojito with fresh mint from our herb pots. Soon...