Friday, February 06, 2009

A little self control, pally

Once again, left to fend for myself for an evening I let my questionable bachelory dietary needs overcome my better sense of judgement. I had just returned for a run around the nabe in to take advantage of the gorgeous weather, and upon finishing my stretching I realized two things- I was absolutely ravenous and had absolutely zilch in terms of my normal throw things together staples.

I figured I'd make some simple pasta and when I checked out the stores I saw two packages of rotini that had both been used and both with only slightly less than a third of the contents remaining. Eyeballing them, I immediately figured it'd be enough for slightly more than one serving. Into the pot they went.

Upon completion, I dumped the contents into the strainer when lo and behold the expanded upon contact with oxygen. It more food than one person had any business, but less food than two people could enjoy as a meal. (And the 'Bean had already been to dinner with his daughter at the Sample Room) So I carried it upstairs like an infant and watched the early news with a beer. It was, in fact, more food than I could eat. And when I heard my roommate and his daughter crash through the front door I snuck into my bedroom, set the half-eaten bowl on my Chinese trunk, shut off the light, and pretended to-and eventually did fall- asleep. (Later he would tell me the had a few glasses of gewurtztraminer a piece and were tipsy mipsy.)

Upon waking 45 minutes later, I started picking at it again until it was gone. (This was after my groggy crashed and now ROYALLY sore self asked "Why is there a bowl of pasta by my feet?") Annnnnd started eating it again. All told, I must have consumed 6 cups of pasta over the course of the evening.

If you need me, I'll be the guy training for marathons to burn off the waaaay superfluous calories I consumed. It's called tupperware, buddy. And restraint. Durrrrr...Urp.

No comments: