Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Shuf-FULL, step, Shuf-FULL, step, Fuh-lap, ball change

My brain is racing too hard today. I'm heading for an aneurysm...I'm almost certain.
Sweet baby is tech-ing her show this week. She'll be gone 'til 11pm most nights (With 2 nights until midnight) which means...I'll be asleep when she returns. Except for last night. Back to back episodes of "X-Files". You know, the 2-parter with the lepers, and the train, and the old police chief from "21 Jump Street"? (I know he's "X", but it's more fun to say it that way.) See- after work yesterday, I had a nap, karate, the Y for some more self-abuse, then home to bed...and just couldn't sleep.
So kitty and I were wide awake. (Because of the dang nap.)

I miss having my PC . Noooo Internet. No cure for Insomnia. No websites that rhyme with "corn". : )

When I fed our cat last night, I had one of those stupid "dammit" kinda things happen- The ring broke off on the cat food can. Meaning It was gonna be a pain in the keister to open. Since the can opener only succeeded in denting it, I thought I'd just puncture the top w/a screwdriver, and pry it off. Well, it got punctured, and I coated my forearms and hands with Friskies Salmon Feast. At least it didn't get on the floor.

Today's title is related to tap lessons I had dozens of years ago. The "J" is teaching me tap right now for potential future work opportunities (i.e in case the Chan needs a swing) so, I asked her to teach me. Okay??? Is that all right with you???

I tried tap a while back in my freshmen movement class. The instructor sounded an awful lot like Myrtle The Turtle when she talked. ("Here we goooo. Shuf-FULL, step, Shuf-FULL, step, Shuf-FULL ball change, Shuf-FULL step." All at about 4 RPM's.)

I feel dumb when I do it, and when I see myself in the mirror doing it. I'd rather be sidekicking. J is extremely patient with me. She does teach kids, y'know.

Karate lesson for everyone: The Sidekick.
It's just like if you are crushing an aluminum can on the ground (A Stomp) Except, your leg will go perpindicular from your body.
1) Raise your knee up like you're gonna step on the can (Go on, try it)
2) Pivot your foot and leg OUT (the one your standing on) while bringing the raised knee across your body.
3) Extend it out slowly, like your stomping on a can. (Don't point your feet. Keep your toes back and stomp with your heel. Start low, and as your flexibility improves so will the height of your leg. You should look like you're standing up, with one leg sticking out to the side (or towards the ground) Ideally, you'd be looking in the direction your kicking.



No comments: