Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Late-A-Whirl!

You come back to write with some nearly 5 month old bull crap and this is what you bring us? Really, P? Leave me the frack alone. This was the first saved post from May.

I can't afford art, and have a terrible eye for it. Even the stuff I convince myself I like I talk myself out of. (Example- Currently, where the copy of the Declaration of Independence was hanging on my stairwell, now exists a caricature picture drawn of my best friend and I from the Taste of MN circa 1995. Which meant he still had colored dreads and I still had a gap in my teeth. And he was stoned. There, I said it. And Moda hates it, and I'm just too lazy to take it down. And it is ridiculous.

Anyway, we finally got our buns out Art-A-Whirlin' and Johnstocking. The best thing I ended up finding was actually the most practical thing. Located in the Casket Farts building, was a little shop that specialized in glazing/pottery/cookware. Their casserole dishes had glazed in recipes, as did their mixing bowls (for dips, etc.) and while they were all pretty I ended up with the dumbest of all- A spatula/spoon/turner rest for your stove top:

Moda is the happy owner of the blue twin, and let's be real- It's a pretty smart deal when you think about it. Dishwasher safe. Image emblazoned with what you are supposed to set on it for the dipshittedly challenged. It had to be mine, of course. (And buying a set of soup bowls with soup recipes? Really? They're called cans, lady. And they contain. Soup) So yeah. Me for the win.


This next guy...well I took a picture of it at Rewind! (The local vintage shop, while Moda looked for cowboy boots) This was purely a nostalgia image that I'm pretty sure will only have an emotional impact for my mom, brother, and I.




Yes, a knit hat with Olympia beer cans sewn into it. If they had an empty drum of Carter Hill pipe tobacco with change in it I probably would have gotten teary.

See, when we were really little kids during the summer and dad was at work (this'd be before mom went back to school full time to get her RN degree) we'd don our dungaree's and Olympia hats, hit the Taystee bakery outlet for a couple of boxes of small glazed donuts (in a little blue box. I think they were called "Mickey Cakes") toss the Popeil Pocket Fisherman and a few other kid-sized fishing rods in the back of the Pinto and hit the Coon Rapids Dam area for some fishing. Occasionally, we'd detour to this local cemetery to picnic (Don't ask. Their was a really old tombstone with a lamb on top my mom thought was "neat") and when we fished we usually only pulled up carp, sunnies, or bullheads...but we always wore those stupid hats.

If I didn't think the $25 price tag was enough to pay for nostalgia, I'd have bought it.




No comments: