Thursday, June 23, 2005

REVEEENNNGGEEE!!!

Seeing Batman Begins again, I start to get the feeling I have a soft spot in my heart for revenge movies. I'm not a vengeful person by nature nor have I ever tried to "get back" at someone through spite, malice, or anger. (It's Kinda rude, Kinda uncouth, Kinda a waste of time. Have the patience and calm understanding of a Jedi, and you can't really go wrong.)

Still, I can't help but think that I experience a catharsis whenever these films come on. They're the kind of movies that, were they to come on the telly on a perfectly beautiful Saturday afternoon I'd still have to drop everything and watch. Even though I own them all on DVD.
I'm gonna qualify these flicks by trying very hard NOT to include movies with "Revenge" in the title. ("Revenge of the Sith" and "Revenge of the Ninja" can't count. I mean, Sith wasn't even technically about revenge... Just set up.) It's not top five-ish, but they are my faves. And really, they aren't necessarily all about revenge...some are about justice. Or, like my old man the ex cop sez: "JUSSS-tice!"

Kill Bill 1 and 2
Pure revenge schlock. Both delicious and easy to digest, a little hyper violence is a terrific palate cleanser. These films (Or should I say film) about a ladies quest for vengeance are great for their choreography and homage's galore for the old school kung fu geek like myself.

The Fugitive
I'm a sucker for this film. Really. Like "Jaws" this is one of those films that will suck away my Saturday. Cool as hell, who'da thunk that it would have got Tommy Lee Jones an Academy Award? (I think Ford shoulda been at least nominated...he's a little over due.) My favorite "Dad-ism" was watching it one lazy Saturday w/my old man. Dr. Kimble is doing the shave/shower/suture scene and he's stripped to the waist. My dad mutters "He's in pretty good shape for an old fart" Classic.

Revenge of the Nerds/Better off Dead
I promised no "revenge" titled movies, but I take exception to one of my personal favorites of the teen T & A films of the 80's. "Nerds" gave me hope that ugly dudes could get some ("Jocks only think about sports, Nerds only think about sex"), spawned dozens of quotable quotes Hey, maybe I could use Gilbert's monologue from the end of the movie at an audition? Look for cameo's by James Cromwell, and John Goodman. I think that there are 2 camps: The John Hughes crowd and the "Nerds" crowd. Not to disparage movies like "TBC", but I never got into "Pretty in Pink" or "Sixteen Candles" the way I did "Nerds". I even dug on "The Big Red One" because Carradine was in it...with some dorkus named Lee Marvin. And Mark Hamill. ; )

They're showing on the IMDB that they may be re-making "Nerds". Ugh...But, "Debbie Does Dallas: The next generation" was loads better than the original. From an artistic standpoint, I mean. (Suckers...)

("BoD" is on their for 2 reasons- (1) the tie in of Curtis Armstrong and (2) I always thought Lane should have gone for Monique over Beth anyway. )

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
I waffled on seeing this one when it first came out because of an ex-geef's observation that it looked "corny". A friend of mine rented it and I instantly fell in love with all of the little details of the film.

"For your help, I will teach you philosphy, economics..."/ "How to read and write?"/ "of course..."

Damn! One of Sir Richard Harris's last films outside the Potter genre, I know people who still naysay this film to death but for my money, it is a terrific flick to throw in if you can't decide what you want to watch. And it was the 1st movie J and I rented together on our 1st date back to her place. Even though we had both seen it, we just knew it was a good watch. And frickin' Guzman is in it! GUUUUUZMAAAAN....KNIFE Fighting btw!


So what're yours?

1 comment:

Portana said...

Revenge movie huh? Nerds ranks up there...Batman with the joker and the riddler. They were both out for revenge so to speak-well, maybe not. I will stick with my star wars mantra--Return of the Jedi.