Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Tale of the Tape

Editor's note:  At the bottom of the article is the final tally of my personal 30-day fitness/activity challenge.  I know I said I'd work-out every day, but to clarify for any folks who cry foul on the three days that I *missed* prior to my birthday on 12/25 was due to a respiratory infection/cold where I couldn't get a full breath and needed to call in sick to work.  I was bedridden.  And it suuuuucked.  Otherwise, I managed to get in a least one hour of physical exercise daily, as promised.  Even if it was Truffle Shuffling in front of the TV.



What did I learn/What changed?  From the minute clinic visit, I learned that I still have high blood pressure.  (And the doc was WILDLY excited to prescribe me meds for it.) I probably only lost 5 lbs.  My clothes aren't looser. I still have a jowl-covering beard.  I'm really quick to want to skip a walk when the weather gets cold.  (Like last year, for the 55 full days it was below zero) I'm really tired (a lot.  You try walking, running, then karate-ing all in one day.  It's exhausting to commit to something like this without a rest day.), and the worst- I learned what my weight was after not having set foot on a scale in 2 years.  Ugh.

Still?

I learned that I eat too much.  If you're working out, a lot, and your weight doesn't go down then you need to observe other possible problem areas.  Mine, in a word, was food.  I love the shit out of food.  And until I stood on the scale at the gym, I had no idea that the fuel I was taking in miiiight've been too much to process usefully.  So, I learned portion control.  (AJ is right- cutting a veggie burger in half and boxing it right away is dead useful versus scarfing the thing because it's in front of your face and you wanna stay a good member of the CPC.)  Indian foods?  The two close-by buffet that let you load up a Styrofoam box to bring back to work (and then eat the whole f#cking thing.)  Going back for 2nds and (ok) 3rds?  Not ok. 

Also?  Being goal-centric isn't too wildly difficult if you put it in a public context and create stakes.  Basically I gave myself a doctor's "come to Jesus" moment versus getting that from a doctor after a diagnosis.  One hour a day to move.  Getting up from my desk to go for a scheduled walk instead of slouching in my chair over Facebook?  I don't look forward to bundling up, but even I noticed that I'm a grand justifier/excuse-maker...so I started bringing extra layers. 2.5 to 3 miles walked every day.  Boom.

And walking?  Even briskly?  Is a great way to mumble out my thoughts and get some simple exercise in during the day.  A good way to have some QT with my girl.  And it keeps me going outside and keeping my legs "road ready" during the Winter.  I can tell you that I didn't run outdoors last year for almost 3 months.  Now we're nearing January and I'm hoping to still be hoofing outside.

Lastly?  The changes may be imperceptible, but I notice some of them more than others.  My pants aren't really "loose", but at least I don't have the mild muffin-top I did before.  I'm not as tired *during* my work day or needing to power through with a carafe of coffee.  I learned that I could barely do half the pull-ups I used to be able to do (unassisted) and have started being able to get my carcass off the ground.  More over?  Getting ready to finish up some curriculum over the next 3 months as I head toward my black belt.

Portions.  Keeping at it (daily) into the new year.  Get enough sleep.  I'm starting the Fast Diet twice a week in January.  I promised my girl I wanted 3 months to see if I could get my weight down, which (I believe) will help take the stress off my heart.  I have 2 months before I'm due in LV and CA for a vacation where I'll be schlepping in salt water topless.  After that, it's just keeping at it.  I think that's doable.  I think that I'd like to have my insides be as healthy as my brain wants my outside to look.  ("Hey!  I bet he looks pretty good naked AND has lower blood pressure")

I think this is worth giving my new, 40-year-old body a high five.


 


No comments: