Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Food...The thing that brings the inner d-wad out...

So we picked some mondo sized eggplants from Vietnam last night (I've dubbed them "Fat Man and Little Boy" due to their size and shape. They're HUGE) and as we were looking at out bounty it occurred to me that I haven't the foggiest idea of what the frack to do with them.

I've enjoyed Buca's eggplant parmigiana in the past (I have 3 dishes there that I insist the group orders to share and that's one of them...the other two being the lemon chicken with capers and garlic bread) and I've had it made for me from scratch which sort of put me off of it. (Dinner party. Everything was from scratch, including the sauce which I abhorred)

So it was off to Epicurious to see what they had to say on the matter. The recipe seemed pretty simple ( I only had to look up the term "dredging" as it relates to cooking...which is to say the same as it means any where else would I had trusted the context of the recipe...durrrrrrr) and curiousity led me to the review pages...where I discovered that recipe submitters and suggester's are mildly snooty a$$holes. (My apologies to the Garden of Olive. You aren't a bad place, per se. You're just kind of chain-y. And cheesey. But I kind of think that this was mean spirited for mean's sake)

A cook from MA says:
"This is a simple and great recipe; those who didn't think it compared with the Olive Garden perhaps could try this."

A cook from NY replies:
"If Olive Garden is your point of favorable comparison, you might want to get out of the Italian food business altogether."


Harsh...

No comments: