Thursday, May 12, 2011

Twangryman!



It's probably high-time I stopped frassin about running and workouts since I'm nigh-on positive it's starting to grate on my 2 to 3 easy-readers. I haven't said boo (really) about Thee-hater since "Joseph" so I figured I'm due for a blog about the boards.

First up:

We're finishing up a quick N' dirty rehearsal run for "12 Angry White Dudes Frassin" and heading into tech next week. I've mentioned previously that since finding out I was cast in it way back in the Fall (Jeebus. That long ago?) I've been sick-excited to start rehearsing. And the best part is that it's been about as awesome as I'd anticipated. Without getting into self-loathing too much, working with talented basterds like these guys is always challenging and fulfilling on many levels for myself as a performer. Mostly because it forces me to get out of my natural comfort zone and dig deep to play ball with the big boys. And to stop with my natural approach to scene work and character study: Hair-Acting. (Or "Hacting", if you prefer truncation)

See, I really...reeeeally don't feel I've honed in on the center of my character until I've made a discovery about what kind of facial hair or hair style the person is. "Does he have a Van Dyke or a full beard?" or "Is this a right-side part or a left-side part" become as vital and important of questions as "What's my motivation". (The answer? A Nap. Always.)

The second part is the costume. Since this is a period piece, we've been bedecked in the finest 50's apparel. Which for yours truly- Juror #6? Means a three-piece-suit...Yeeeeeeah bitches. Now, wearing the thing does give you a certain posturing and an early "Mad Men" vibe. To tell the truth, is that it actually makes me feel more like Indiana Jones when he's describing the Ark to the Army guys in "Raiders".



(Pictured: Mileage, not years. And this actor's extraordinary false sense of image)

I'm gonna see if I can buy it after the run. The thing is too damn nice. Timeless, even. Speaking of getting a suit after a gig:

Tonight is the PRE-miere of the lil' docu-skit I shot last summer. (Remember? The frightening experience of learning to drive stick in a Model-A car?) We'll be taking to the Mounds theater and...well it's cool that they're hosting an event at movie-house to show this thing but I was a little hesitant to attend. Firstly I don't want to be put out on my night off from rehearsal b/c I tend to be lazy like that and want to catch up on my Netflixing. Secondly, and the real reason, is I don't want to see my big fat face on the big fat screen in any capacity. I haaaate seeing myself on film. (Sure, I'll post it for others, but ugh. There's a reason I have a face for radio. And it was back when I was pounding the vodka. Hello water-retention and the additional 20 lbs the camera adds.)

Anyway, it was a good experience to shoot and I had a good time doing it. The least I can do is get over myself, be a supportive cast-member, and stop pretending to be the actron who hates premieres and seeing themselves on camera long enough to take my mom on a date to see it. Okay? Shut up. If you haven't seen it, the trailer and information about the movie are here.

Lastly...and speaking of suits...here's the vid I shot a few weeks back with my buddy Ry-Gonn. If you're curious as to why my hackting is so stilted and Shatnerian...well you try memorizing your script same-day and learning to say the name of a firm after you've been jokingly calling it goofy nick-names for fun. It's not all glamor.

And what did I say? The rakish mop truly adds to the character.

No comments: