Thursday, May 26, 2011

Movie Review: "Role Models"

"Role Models" (2008) is currently available on DVD and Netflix.

I don't know why I waited so long to check out this movie after I watched it since it turned out to be a lot better than I expected it to be. (Oh wait, yes I do. The trailers made it seem hyper-formulaic, McLovin from "Superbad" looked like he was about to get stuck in a character rut until he grew older and developed a drug-habit, and it had Stifler in it. And that dude bugs. Mind you, I like Paul Rudd but everything he touches does not -in fact- turn to gold)

Two buddies who work for an energy drink company get into trouble and as part of their court-ordered community service wind up acting as mentors to two children who carry baggage of their own. (One, a Larping Social Misfit and the other a sassy boob-obsessed foul mouthed miscreant.) Hijinks ensue, and along the way they all learn something about growing up. And, scene.

Lame premise, right?

It took me a few minutes finding myself laughing at the dialogue (which was funny, without being too glib or dirty) to figure out why I was digging on it so much: David Wain directed it. Doi. So the easy review is if you were in to the off-center comedy of "The State", "Wet Hot American Summer", "Stella", etc. then you'll probably enjoy the heck out of this film.

Paul Rudd still plays deadpan/snarky/sarcastic but it's layered with this world-weariness ("Am I getting too old to do these stupid Bromance Comedies?") and coupled with Sean William Scott- Still playing a motormouth d-bag- (Who again, makes you wonder if it's the 30-something guy who just didn't grow out of the frat party), it works to give a balanced tone throughout the narrative. Likewise, the kids end up being a large part how their characters grow, but they don't ever let them fall back while the big-names take center-stage.

And Oh...oh...Joe LoTruglio...nearly made me wet myself.

A lot of times when film has a tagline of having dialogue that's "largely improvised", I'm left a little skeptical. Done well, you get memorable dialogue and and a top grossing comedy. Done poorly, you get actors who pull a Jimmy Fallon and look at each other like they're waiting to laugh and rambly diatribes that never seem to end. Here, you just have to listen to Jane Lynch give her motivational speeches and admonishing lectures just to see how sublime, effortless, and pointed it can be. (And dear God...so, so funny. Hang out through the credits to watch her "hot dog" bit)

I won't lie. I'd even hazard to say that I'd own this one. It was that funny and repeat viewings would probably open up more opportunities to catch missed laughter.

Or I'm just into the schtick of the guys who did "The State". Either way, a pretty great film.

3/4

PS- Outside of playing "Miri", Elizabeth Banks must be making it a career move to play characters with variations on her first name. Here, we have her as "Beth"...yet again.

No comments: