Friday, December 31, 2010

Merry Christmas/Happy New Year, family...

(Style blatantly ripped of-...borrowed. Borrowed, from my friend Mel)

Happy Holidays, my darling dear niece and nephew! Your 3rd and 2nd Christmas respectively, I wanted you both to know I had a wonderful time visiting with you last weekend!

Zachary-
You were a very helpful present-opener this year. Before we were all even situated, you were pulling the gifts out from under the tree and divvying them up for all of us in spite of not even knowing where we were going to sit. You were so good at opening, in fact, that you sometimes had the gift almost completely unwrapped by the time you set it in our hands. You're quite verbal now, and I have to apologize when you "go off" on a tangent and I can only decipher bits and pieces. (Your parents are expert translators) I usually respond with a "Yeah?" and you say "Yeah!" back and I figure that's all good.

While this was a surprisingly abundant Christmas, I think favorite memory of the day was when we were eating cake and you had all but inhaled yours. Your dad, who wasn't listening very closely when his wife asked him to bring out a second napkin, brought out a second LARGER piece of cake for you instead. Her horrified reaction and you looking like you had won the lottery before head-butting your mouth into the cake was the best. Next to my big-assed TV.

Claire-Bear-
Sorry I don't have a more appropriate and less cliche' nickname for you. I found myself calling you "Clarice" in a Hannibal-Lecter-esque way and it's a little creepy, especially when asking if the "lambs have stopped screaming" yet. You are a beautiful lady, and at the bittersweet "weed-growing" stage. You're a counter, and about as verbal as your big brother. We played "hide in the cave" (in your cave behind the chair) and with your little flashlight we explored the "Bear Den" (The laundry room.) I'll give you this, love- You are a schemer. And a thinker. And a little princess. Oh yes. But you're tough. If you fall, all you do is point to your (elbow, knee, cheek) and show where you want it kissed to be made better. I love you, darling. I really do. And because I know you love them, I hope that you enjoyed the X-Mas card. (The monkey singing jingle bells will drive your folks nuts- But I really loved how you SCREAMED whenever you opened it. For 45 minutes.)

It was a sweet, but simple affair. I got the big-ass TV, which means when your folks drop you off at Uncle Mi-Mi's it'll be big ass movies. Getting it home was a hoot, with a corner sticking out the window. And it's a little ridiculous. I hope you realize. Auntie Moda sends her love as well. She's in a show at CTC right now and I think you'll both be old enough to appreciate it, if we can get your mom over her fear of anthropamorphic people-beasts. Although I'd pay for all of us if we could get her to the theatre.

And lastly, you both may end up being too young to remember him but Pa Woof was missed a lot. Again. And I sometimes wonder if he's watching us somewhere. He loved you both so much.

Merry Christmas, my dear hearts. I love you very much.

Your old-uncle Mi-Mi...

No comments: