Friday, April 23, 2010

And I was running...

Hey, yeah, what? That's right. Tomorrow is the big day! 1st race of the...wait. I actually don't think I've participated in a Something-K since, oh, 1992? Since starting to run/jog outdoors in 1994? Huh. And it's all because Moda got a bug up her butt to start training a few months ago and now she's all wearing Vibrums and can peel bananas with her feet while wearing shoes and s#it. (I kid, I kid. Why? Because I love)

I honestly can say I'm feel a little trepidation even though we've been running over 6 miles fairly smoothly for the last month or so. (Ask me about our 8.5 mile behemoth we ran out of doors on Sunday at Hyland Park. 90. Degree. Hill/trail.) Not that I won't finish, or will be the slowest (I guarantee there'll probably be at least 100-200 Kenyans there). No, we've both remarked that our legs are pretty strong and the soreness I feel isn't isolated to the joints. (My calves and quads being sore where they should be for this much training) Nope, it's work.

The last 2-3 weeks or so, mandatory overtime has been in place. So I've been sequestered to a desk for anywhere from 48-50 hours a week, 6 days a week. Now, in spite of what you read in magazines about "stretching at your desk" or "taking frequent walks" (which, um, they kinda frown at being that there's this, I don't know, weird expectation that you work...) It's just the sitting and working has made my lower back frassy. Now, to be fair, when I'm training it actually feels fine. Doesn't make me bat an eye. But end of day? Taking off my shoes? That becomes a bit more of a struggle.

So on our nights off, we sit on the couch with either a bag of frozen peas or an ice pack and watch "Mad Men" (Moda has a frassy hip flexor) and will take turns rolling on the foam roller (yeah. I never thought I'd get one either. Shup. The dumb thing works) and popping 800 mgs of Ibuprofen which don't usually help too much. It's great fun.

So tomorrow around this time we'll be home probably icing our respective bits. High-fiving on our first run-like accomplishment. For my part, I hope to finish under 75-80 minutes which should be accomplishable. If you're in the area, I'll be the pale whale under a blue poncho. (Yeah, it's supposed to rain too. Natch) Until then, tonight is our complimentary carb load up at the site. Wahoo.

No comments: