Thursday, December 17, 2015

Star...Mers...something...

Today, social media has been choc-a-bloc full of stories about people's 1st experience seeing Star Wars.  I feel like I've told *everyone* who will listen to my experiences with the universe Lucas spun out (and his wife loomed into a cohesive story, natch.).  3.  I was nearly 4 when we went to the old Brookdale Cinema (which became a Kohl's) and, if my folks recollection is to be believed, sat through it.  Twice.*

From there, we gobbled up everything Star Wars.  The accompanying picture-book and reel-to-reels from the Hennepin County Library with the images of Luke's best friend who didn't make it in the theatrical cut- and who eventually became the nick-namesake of my big brother.  We had the over sized comic book, sheets, posters, glasses from Burger King, and naturally...lots and lots of action figures.

The chasm between the films seem massive, and as soon as we could we were saving proof-of-purchases from the boxes so we could send away for "Bossk", and the mystery figure who would become Boba Fett. (My god, the rumor that his jetpack could FIRE A MISSLE?  Only to hear urban legends of choking hazards and stripping our fingers trying to get it out.)  When the "Empire" magazine came out, we were treated to behind the scenes images from the new movie.  Wintry landscapes?  Luke uses his lightsaber?  And our first word of the rumor...that you'd SEE Darth Vader with his MASK OFF...and the playground rumor mill was that it was SO GROSS that people were THROWING UP!!!

We waited in line for what felt like FOREVER outside of this theater in B.C.





And our minds were blown.  From there, we started making playsets since the number of toys were getting to be prohibitive for my mom to keep up with...

Look, the point is- like EVERYONE the Star Wars films have been ingrained in my DNA.  In our guts.  It's why we have imagination- running around with flashlight/lightsabers...turning the 'Bago into the Falcon.  It's where I first saw loss and the possibility of return, how irredeemable people can turn into your best friend, how bad guys are so much more complicated.

Even as a big kid.  How *hasn't* being in karate, or kendo, or fencing, or anything been influenced by what we saw as kids.  How it was important to be a *good* guy.  How it's a bad idea to get stuck in a garbage chute with a dianoga?  To have faith in something you can't see.  I'm not entirely unsurprised our folks pulled us out of church not too long afterwards.  (There were some extenuating circumstances, but it's fun to think it's because The Force was strong in our family.)

So I've been going to midnight showings of Star Wars since about 1980 or so.  And the last time was in 2005 (where I blogged about it) with a group of like minded geeks who all cheered as soon as "A Long Time Ago, in a Galaxy Far, Far Away..." came on screen.  And tonight, I'll be going early early with one of the members of that group.  And am hoping the nostalgia will make me feel a fraction of my age.

May the Force be with all 4 of my readers.  And enjoy your first screenings.  I'm betting I'mma go back and see it again.



*During Father's Day, many years ago, I was having lunch at my brother's house where he was hosting with his wife and we all (Mom, Ro, his weef, and I) matriculated into the TV room since there was a showing of "Star Wars" on channel 9.  Dad meandered in while we were all zombie-ing out, and he muttered: "God dammit.  I should have NEVER taken you boys to see that movie..."










No comments: