Tuesday, January 28, 2014

No...it's really that cold.



No, really.  I'll post something pithy when my jaw unclenches.  We're now closing in on the end of January that's been a Winter weather touchstone to remember.  (AKA:  The winter they cancelled school 5 x's in one month, aka: the January that had maaaaaaybe 5 days above freezing etc.)

To re-address the cold-weather snow-loving Pollyanna's out there who sniff and scoff at the rest of us kvetcher's- if the consecutive days of dangerous sub-zero temperatures aren't enough to make you bat an eyelash, I'd like to take a step further by saying I'd be okay...really, I think having 4 seasons is fine (Winter included), but I'm growing weary of the way my car responds when I try and start it in the morning, and it's that same complaintive reluctant engine turnover (with the occasional dead battery) that sets the tone for the rest of the day.  Temps in the low 30's?   20's?  Hell, the teens? 

If you don't own a garage (or a garage with a heater), then your car is outside.  If your car is outside overnight and you don't get up to turn the engine over, it's at the mercy of -50 below windchills in addition to the ambient "still" temperature...which last night (1/27) got down to a balmy 24 below zero in the Cities.

I walked my friends dog, bundled and wrapped I was, and the tiny pieces of exposed skin showing outside of the eye holes on my ski mask gave me a thumping ice-headache.  So...it sucks.  Not as bad as the climate-change naysayers.  (Let's face it...you hear them at work or the occasional "Well WHERE'S your global warming NOW?!?!?" comments...which, and this is a factual statement:  Is stupid.)  I figure I can let the good folks at xkcd explain it better here.

(I promise, promise I'll have the funny stuff next time.)

No comments: